Nothing sends an image of health and beauty like a sparkling set of white teeth. It’s normal for people to want to look good at all times, but yellow teeth can ruin your look and smile. So if your teeth are looking a bit dingy and yellow, then you might understandably be embarrassed to show your smile.
Indeed, yellow teeth are not very attractive to look at. Having the best-looking teeth in the room is all the confidence you need. The appearance of your teeth can hold you back from enjoying a high-quality life. It is why you have to be grateful for dentistry. There are different ways to look at your teeth and come up with white and bright smiles. It is natural for our teeth to lose their white sparkle as we age. The teeth’s enamel is slowly broken down over time, allowing the dentin underneath to show through.
What Causes Yellow Teeth?
The color of your teeth is influenced by lifestyle choices. Yellow teeth are often caused by pigments in foods and substances. Many people know that yellow teeth can be caused by smoking, drinking coffee and/or tea. If you’re not using or consuming any of those products, you’re probably wondering why you have yellow teeth.
- Food stains – some foods are highly pigmented. These pigments can gradually stain teeth, especially if the foods are taken often.
- Hard water – the intake of hard water forms a resistant residue on the surfaces of teeth. The color may start as yellow, but in time, it turns into a dark brownish color.
- Plaque build-up – plaque is the number one thing your dentist will look for when you complain of Yellow teeth. It is a layer of food residue, acids, saliva and bacteria that forms on the surfaces of teeth. Plaque build-up results from poor oral hygiene. There is a reason why dental experts emphasize on regular tooth brushing and flossing.
- Enamel thinning – the outermost layer of the teeth is called the enamel. Beneath it, is another layer called the dentin. Typically, the enamel is whiter and brighter than the dentin. Over time, enamel thinning exposes more of the dentin that is duller in color. This might explain your yellowing. Some of the causes of enamel thinning are aging, acidic erosion, accidents, and teeth grinding.
- Poor oral hygiene can also be solely responsible for the discoloration of your teeth. Taking good care of your teeth keeps them healthy and also shiny white. Neglecting your dental health leads to accumulation of plaque and tartar causing yellow teeth.
How to Get Rid of Yellow Teeth
The first step to take in treating yellow teeth is to identify the causes the yellowing, if for instance it is as a result of your diet or improper dental hygiene. You can work towards correcting this as fast as you can.
Professional teeth cleaning – where poor oral hygiene is the underlying cause of discoloration, cleaning is necessary. Most dental procedures are, thankfully, preceded by thorough professional teeth cleaning. It is the best way to scrape off any plaque and tartar on the surfaces of teeth. Soon after the cleaning, you will realize that your teeth have brightened up tremendously. From here, you can choose to proceed with teeth whitening, especially if you wish to take the whiteness of your teeth further.
Some so-called natural tooth whiteners include things like apple cider vinegar, lemons, and strawberries. These are all acidic agents and won’t actually bleach your teeth. At best, the acid will help the outer layer of your tooth enamel, which may play a role in loosening stains. But this is actually very harmful since it doesn’t grow back.
Dental veneers – they offer a cosmetic approach to improving teeth color. Veneers feature thin shell-like porcelain materials. They are attached to the front surfaces of the teeth. Their goal is to cover up the flaws of teeth, including discoloration. It is a preferable procedure for patients that have stubborn stains. Besides, the non-invasive nature of the procedure makes it perfect for patients who are a little conservative.
Your smile says a lot about your health and who you are. We want the first thing people notice about you to be a dazzling, warm smile. And remember no matter of what – keep smiling and be happy. There is a solution for everything.